If dressing up as Star Wars characters (for kids, for adults, and for couples) isn’t your thing, here’s some awesome ideas for dressing up as and sharing God’s story with Finding Nemo and Finding Dory!
Halloween is a great time to connect with your kid’s over their love of Finding Nemo and Finding Dory!
Marlin and Nemo (clown fish)
Here are a some ways to dress up as Marlin or Nemo.
Here is a “no sew” idea using an orange hoody and some material. (Click the image below.)
Here is another cute Nemo or Marlin idea!
Here is a cute “cardboard cut out” costumee that can work for young or old.
Here is a fantastic art project that is also a costume!
Foam board + creativity = awesome Dory costume!
Squirt or Crush (the turtles)
Ah, you gotta love Squirt and Crush!
Sure, it will take a bit of work, but here is a great way to build an awesome Squirt or Crush turtle shell!
I know Bruce the shark is sort of a bad guy, but let’s be honest, the real bad guy of Finding Nemo was the fish killing Darla!
Aside from the braces and head-gear, Darla is pretty straight up easy. Pair a purple sweater or sweatshirt with a plaid skirt, and put your hair into pig tails and you are all most done!
Here are a few different ways to do the braces and head-gear:
Now just add a fish toy (plush or plastic) inside a plastic bag (dry or with water) to top off your Darla costume!
Over all Darla is a pretty cheap and easy costume that almost anyone should recognize and get a laugh out of!
The Scuba Guy!
Last but not least, I give you the Scuba Guy!
Delineate Your Dwelling has an awesome how to that you can use for the Finding Nemo scuba guy. Seriously, very DIY and super affordable! Here is an example of her work. Go check it out!
Finally, here is a family that combined most if these ideas so each member of the family. Great stuff that you should totally check out!
Sharing God’s Story with Finding Nemo and Finding Dory
Shopping for, and making, these Finding Nemo and Finding Dory costumes is a fantastic time to share God’s story!
- Finding Nemo is very much a retelling of the Lost Parables from Luke 15. Finding Nemo is the parable of the lost fish.
- Nemo is literally “caught up in his sin.” He disobeys his dad, Marlin, and is caught by a diver with a net.
- How do you know Marlin still loves Nemo, even though he disobeyed? Because he went looking for him!
- Remind your kids that they are like Nemo and lost because of their sin.
- But also remind them that Jesus loves them the way Marlin loved Nemo!
- And just like Marlin went looking for Nemo, because he loved him, Jesus is looking for them (and died to save them)!
- Remind your kids that God loves them the way Marlin loved Nemo.
- Play a game of hide and seek. When you find your child, give them a HUGE hug and tell them how much you love them. Then remind them that God loves them even more than that!
I love, love, love how Finding Nemo (and Finding Dory to some degree) shares God’s story. I love it so much a wrote a devotional, Sharing God’s Story with Finding Nemo, that you can use to share God’s story with your kids and students.
What did I miss? I am sure there are other Reel Parable moments in Finding Nemo and Finding Dory, so let us know how you share God’s story with Finding Nemo and Finding Dory.
SHARING IS CARING! Please share this post with at least one friend. Thanks!
Get my free e-book, How to See God’s Story in Movies. This free download will help you share God’s story with your kids and students by showing you how to see God’s story in movies.
Not only will this guarantee that you get the latest Reel Parables posts, but you will also get my most popular downloads, including “How to Time Travel.”
Until next time, God bless.
Simon L Smith